Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sugar Free Spiced Nuts

Can't belieive it's Sugar Free.

 This is a new year and I'm going sugar free. Since diabetes runs in my family I decided to make a change in some of my deserts. I was speaking to my Aunt Rosemarie over the holidays and she told me how she makes her sugar coated nuts. I also have a recipe for sugar coated Spiced Nuts. Her nuts are coated with egg whites mixed with Splenda and mine are coated with butter mixed with brown sugar. Now, I do not see a down side to my Aunt’s nut recipe. It is loaded with protein and no sugar. There is a small difference. Mine has a crispy candy coating and hers has a nice nutty sweet flavor. This recipe is perfect for someone who wants to watch their sugar intake. My husband loves my spiced nuts. When the Chief came home he spotted the jar of nuts and dug right in. I asked him if he noticed anything different. He shook his head no, and said not really. I then told him they were sugar free. He was shocked and grabbed another hand full. Based on my husband’s response I could say they are a hit.  This was so good next week I'm going to substitute the nuts with a Granola mix.  

Ingredients:

1 bag 16 oz. pecan halves
8 oz of roasted salted cashews
6 oz of Macadamia nuts
3/4 cup of Brown Sugar Splenda
1/4 cup of Splenda
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of pure vanilla
4 egg whites

Directions:
Separate egg whites from egg yolks. Add the Splenda brown sugar, Splenda, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and vanilla to the egg whites. Beat with a fork until it is mixed well. Put all the nuts in a bowl and pour the egg white mixture in with the nuts and mix well. Cover a baking sheet with quick release aluminum foil. Spread nuts evenly on baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for ten minutes. Toss nuts and bake again for an additional ten minutes. Let cool and they become slightly crispy.













PhotobucketPhotobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails